First day at Mission Training Center in Provo Utah

 Sunday, March 17, 2024

  • Sam's hospital Match Date
  • Last fishing Day
  • Entry to the MTC
  • First Missionary Devotional
  • Piano Guys member Brother Nelson performed

Today was the first day of our mission at the Mission Training Center in Provo Utah. I will speak more on that in a minute.

Friday we came up North to Salt Lake City to go to our son's Match Day at the University of Utah. This is where they find out what hospital they are accepted to to do their residency. It is a big deal in the medical world and they were all very excited. He was accepted to the McKay Dee hospital in Ogden in Family practice. This was his first choice. 

After we went to a luncheon with some if his school friends. We spent the rest of the day at his house in Bountiful Utah. It was very windy and cold so we spent a lot of time in the house. 

Saturday was still real windy and we just played with the grandkids. In the afternoon Sam and I went fishing. Didn't get a bite but it was nice to get out as we were cooped up in the house most of the day.

Saturday Evening we went to a Chinese place to have dinner and it was packed and there was a 1 1/2 hour wait. We went home and called it in which was only a 40 minute wait. Food was ok for how packed it was.

Sunday we went to church with Sam's family and then he cooked some steaks and all the trimmings for our going away meal. It was really good. 

After dinner we packed our stuff up and headed to the MTC in Provo. I have been a nervous wreck about this mission. We need to rent our house and it is not rented yet and there are other things we didn't get done that aren't killer things, but would have been good if we would have got them finished. Anyway, it has been a little nerve racking to say the least. 

We arrived at the MTC at about 5:00pm tonight. Everyone is really upbeat and make you feel very welcome. This was not how it was for my first mission to Ireland. We were herded in like Cattle, everything went very fast and in a week we were shipped out. In this case people were there to greet us and show us exactly where to go. They had a couple that showed us around our sleeping area to show us where everything was. 

This evening we had a Devotional that was really good. It's focus was on Having the Holy Ghost with you and how to recognize when you are guided by the Holy Ghost or just your own personal feelings. I can't describe the teachings and how they came into my heart, but a few scriptures came to mind. John 14:26; 15:26; D&C 100:8; 21:9 and others.

Following the devotional they had a surprise guest come. It was one of the "Piano Guys", Nelson was his last name. The young people must really know him, because when he came in the crown went wild. His son is also in the MTC at this time. It was kind of a short concert with a spiritual message. 

We have run into some people that I know, or know people that I know. My origional reason for submitting papers for a mission at this time was that there was an opening in the Scotland/Ireland mission where I served (Ireland Dublin Mission back then). Well obviously we didn't get that mission, but I met the couple that did. I cussed them out for taking my mission ;-). They are from Blanding Utah and knew my Aunt LuRay Brown, my mothers sister. We also met Terry Watson who was around my age in High School and lives in Toquerville.

Terry Watson and Me at the Provo MTC

Also met another senior sister from the 9th ward in Hurricane. There is another couple from Toquerville that I haven't met yet. 

Also I found out that Michael D. Pickard is in the Mission presidency here. He was the Area Seventy in Phoenix when I was the Stake President in Cottonwood. He was over our coordinating councils. He was also in charge of the open house for the Phoenix North Temple and got us in to the Celestial room when President Thomas S. Monson dedicated it. That was a great spiritual feast that I have recorded in another place.

Me, Tina, Sister Marian Pickard and Michael D. Pickard


So that is our first day. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025