Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Wednesday, April 24, 2024

  • A chicken foot dinner

 I know I have missed several days, but I have been sick and just couldn't get it done. I'm not going to try and catch up. Suffice it to say that I have mostly been sick.

Tina and I did speak in Sacrament meeting this past week and it went pretty well.

Tonight we were invited to dinner with the Elders to a lady who I am not sure what her status is with the church. I don't think she is a member but really likes the missionaries. I have heard that she is living with a man that does not want to get married so she can't be baptized.

We met some of the missionaries at the church and Noah was also with them. He is coming to dinner also. It was a little hairy driving getting to her house, but we made it. For St Lucia standards it was pretty nice. The person that invited us is Diane Davies. She is quite tall. I realize I have met her before at church. I think she comes almost every week. Anyway when we got there she was frying Plantain which looks like a banana but I guess it is not. Finally she ordered all the new to the area missionaries out of the house why they set the table. That was not unusual because there is not a lot of room in these houses. We were out side for about 20 minutes and then they called us in for dinner. When we got our plates there was a very nice spread of food on it except for one thing. There was a fried chicken foot on the plate. It was fixed very nicely. Anyway they gave Sister Johnson and myself and Elder Nehemia a plate with a chicken leg on it. He started eating his and I think he even bit the toes off and chewed them up. Tina took her turn and ate what meat she could pick off of it with her teeth and I did the same. After we had all ate some, they all started to laugh. We had been set up. This was a joke they do with all new missionaries on the island and has been a tradition for a while. Finally they brought out some very nicely fried chicken. The feet were not as bad as I thought they would be. She had cooked them in some spicy sauce which wasn't to bad, but it was still a chicken foot and looked pretty non eatable. 

It was a fun joke and we all had a good laugh over it. We were good sports and went along as we had said before we came here, knowing we might see some strange food, we would just eat it and not complain. So there you have it I have now ate a chicken foot.

After dinner we hurried back to the church as Tina helps with the literacy program. We have about 5 people attending.



Our first chicken foot dinner. Doesn't Sister Johnson look excited?

She is really tearing into that chicken foot.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025