Sunday, May 26, 2024

Sunday, May 26, 2024

  • Our first tropical wave (storm)
  • Canceled church and got reprimanded
  • Sam and Kameron called today

 We had our first tropical wave come though today, It actually started last night and carried on through out the day today. It really hit about 2 hours before church was to start at 10 am. People were nervous and were messaging that they were not coming to church today. I planned to move forward and hold it, but the weather was getting worse. The rain was really coming down. We have a pool in our yard and usually the water lever is about a foot from the top of the pool, but when we went out this morning it was running over so a bunch of water had come down during the night. We have a tin roof so we really hear it. When it is raining hard we can hardly here each other speak. It is cooler when it is raining, but hotter when it stops. 

Pool running over from the tropical wave (storm) that came through

Anyway, it was really pouring and people were asking me if I was going to cancel church. I had to make a decision and knowing how windy the roads are around here and how hard the rain was coming down I thought it might be wise to cancel. I called President DeBeauville to get his input, but he didn't answer. Finally I just made the decision to cancel. It was raining to hard and would be dangerous for the members to travel. 

A bunch of these little critters came out after the storm

A little later I got a text from President Selman, the District President, asking if I had received permission to cancel church. He said only the Area Authority could make that call. He said I should have contacted the mission president and he would contact the Area authority. Well, I didn't know that, I just figured the weather was to bad to be out. It was lightening and thundering and it just didn't feel safe. I told President Selman that I wouldn't let it happen again and I would call President Bickmore the mission president and let him know. I did call President Bickmore to let him know and he didn't seem to be to concerned about it. He said he was fine with me making the decision if  I thought it was unsafe. Also, President DeBeauville did call me back later and I asked him if that was the right thing to do and he said it was, he felt also it was to dangerous to be out. President D is a counselor in the District Presidency and lived on St Lucia for a long time if not his whole life. 

I wouldn't have felt to bad if they would have released me for such a mistake. :-)

The heaviest part of the storm had mostly moved on by late afternoon. We had been stuck in the house all day so we went for a walk. It was nice out. The street we walked down had several dogs in their yard and since being bit, they make you a little nervous. Luckily we didn't have any problems.

Sam called this afternoon and we visited for quite a while. They have moved in their new home, built in 1959, but it has been fixed up and they love it. Cerria's parents and real get things done people and have helped them a lot to get things fixed. Sam is a pretty go getter also and has got several things fixed up. The house is already gone up in value by what they have done to it.

Kameron called about 11 pm. Woke us up. He forgot about the 3 hour difference in time. We vised for about 45 minutes then went back to sleep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025