Friday, June 7, 2024

Friday, June 7, 2024

  • Corey Vigier
  • The local market
  • Buying mangos from kids on the street and a little old lady

This was kind of a slow day. Tina worked on some lessons she has to give and I worked more on my reconciliation of the branch bank account. 

I don't know if I have said before, but there is a member of the Branch name Corey Vigier. He is 33 and still lives at home with his mother. Of course that is not to unusual. There are a lot of men that are older and still live at home, not married. Anyway Corey calls me every day and usually twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. He goes out with the missionaries almost every day. He is very popular in his neighborhood. Almost everyone knows Corey. Anyway, he called this morning and always wants to know what I am going to do that day. One day I made the mistake of telling him that I was looking for someone to give the prayers in sacrament meeting. He was all over that. He gave me some names, but I told him I had someone in mind. He called me about 5 times throughout the day to see if I had asked them.

I did have plans to go down to the church and get some keys and check the refrigerator. Someone said it wasn't working. Well when I got down town there was some event going on and they had the road blocked and I couldn't get there. So I headed back home.

Just down the street from where we live there were a couple of kids with several boxes of mangos they were selling. Brought back memories of kids selling lemonade on every street corner in Hurricane. I have a soft heart so I thought I would stop and buy a couple from them. Problem was I didn't have any change so I went to the little market just down the road from them to get some smaller bills. I hate going there because there are always a bunch of beggars there asking for money. We are told not to give people money, but it is hard even thought you know they will probably use it for booze or drugs. As usual there were at least 2 that I ran into and being American they think we have lots of money. Anyway I told them no, but I always try to chat with them. At any rate I got my small change and went back to where the boys were. They were a couple of happy kids. 

Funny story, I walked up to the boys and asked how much? They said 6 for $2. I said I only want 4, but I'll give you the $2 anyway. All of a sudden I hear and see this old lady running at me down the driveway yelling $5 for 5, $5 for 5. As she was running her false teeth were bouncing up and down in her mouth. Reminded me of my Grandpa Whitney when he would get laughing real hard his top denture would fall down or out. Well the boys were confused about the sudden price change, but I knew what was going on. I was not getting the locals discount. Hmmm, I wonder why she thought I wasn't a local. I just live down the street...

Boys selling mangos on the road just down from our place



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025