Saturday, May 17, 2025

Saturday, May 17, 2025

  • Church Cleaning
  • Elder Kouadio going home to the Ivory Coast
  • Breakfast turned out good
  • Took a drive to Dauphin Bay
  • The Lords hand in my life, Scripture reading, Members stepping up

This morning I was a little stressed about our church cleaning activity this morning and I am cooking. I'm not sure why I get all excited about it. These people don't get really excited about anything. They eat what ever is put in front of them. They may not like it, but I have never heard anyone complain about any of the food.

We stopped at the store to pick up some last minute items for the breakfast which cost about $115.00. Some juice, milk, matches to light to cook stove, and a couple of other items. Things are very expensive here. Some guy from England came up to us while we were shopping the other day and was really complaining about the cost of everything. I guess he just wanted to vent to someone and we looked like we had a listening ear.

Elder Kouadio (Ko wad io) a missionary in Vieux Fort is going home on Monday and came up today to fly out to Barbados. He is going home to the Ivory Coast. He is the only member of his family and has only been a member for about 3 years including his mission. I told him that when he going home never miss sacrament meeting, read his scriptures every day and say his prayers every day and he will be fine. He said he would.

The Vieux Fort elders came up and helped clean the church. We started about 9am and it took us until 1pm. They washed walls, windows the outside and inside. The church looked amazing when they were done. Elder Cox who is also in Vieux Fort said our church is the nicest church he has been in since he came on his mission. I was a little surprised, as I was thinking it is a little run down and wasn't appealing compared to the other churches around the Island. Sometimes I blame the building from keeping us from baptizing a more upper class group of people into the church. Not that I am trying to be vain or anything, I just feel that the more family oriented people who have jobs don't come because out church doesn't look that appealing at first look and so we never get them in to feel the spirit inside.

The breakfast turned out good and everyone ate plenty, we ran out of pancakes and had to make more. The turnout was great from the sister's side, but not a single man came. We were a little disappointed about that. 

We came home and took a nap and then went for a ride. We found a new road that took us into an area that we had never been to on the East side of the Island to an overlook of Dauphin Bay. It turned into a dirt road that was decent and I think we could have made it to the East coast ocean to. We got close enough to get some pictures. I have said this before, but the wind never stops blowing on the East side of the Island. The east side along the coast is also much dryer and has a bit of a desert look to it. There are even cactus' on that side. 

We get a little uncomfortable when we get out on these dead end dirt roads as we don't really tell anyone where we are going and sometime the area's getting to these places are a little sketchy. It would be easy for someone to block our way out as there is only one way in and one way out. I think about it, but once I'm there I feel better, but she doesn't until we are back in the main civilization. Anyway, we made it back safely and we were grateful. 

Transfer's are tonight.

So how did I see the hand of the Lord in my life today. I think in my studies this morning I reread President Eyring's talk and marked it up a bit. I don't know if I can be as diligent as he was in recording something every day, but I did feel a strong spirit as I studied it. 

Also, I complain a lot about the lack of commitment some of the members have here. Sometimes some of the leadership. But today one that I thought should be there wasn't and I was complaining under my breath a little about that. But a short time later I heard one of the Elders yell out her name as she and her daughter came walking up to the church to help clean. It was humbling and at the same time I was grateful that they came. The spirit reminded me that I need to appreciate everyone's best effort when every they give it. Things I do as a life long member and are just part of my life are life changing events in theirs. It isn't easy for them to make some of the changes the gospel requires just because they have been baptized. They have traditions rooted in them so deep it may take a generation or two to get to the point that even the most simple commandments will be easier for them to live by. Sometimes my soul ache's for them because I know that if they would keep their baptism and temple covenants they would be so much more blessed. They just don't have the faith yet. And yet at times they make such great sacrifice just to come to church. I hope one day they will fully grasp the blessings the Lord has instore for them. One commandment they really struggle with is Tithing. They just can't see how taking out 10% of their already not enough money income will help them. All I can say is I know it will. I love these people so much and the poverty some of them live in breaks my heart. What can I do more. 

Dauphin Bay in the background

Dauphin Bay, this is as close as we came

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025