Sunday, May 25, 2025

 Sunday, May 25, 2025

  • Many teachers didn't show up for church
  • Corey out of town
  • Yohan came to church today
  • Sacrament meeting is the fix for discouragement
  • Sam's temple experience with a dead battery
  • Sister Jane was sick today

This morning I got up thinking about what is gonna go on at church today. We are short on speaker and there was a possibility that one would not show up that was asked to speak. So we have two new missionaries so I asked sister chambers if she would speak I'm preparing for a mission and how her testimony has grown from being a missionary.

I called Denzel to see if he would teach the elders quorum because I did not think Lambert would be there. He said he had a meeting to go to and he probably wouldn't be there during priesthood meeting. Relief society teacher called Tina and told her she was not going to make it because she had a toothache. This stuff used to really get me worked up of how everything was going to work II have found that these people just roll with what ever happens and it will all work out. 

Corey is out of town so we had no prayers lined out. I called Tasha to see if she would say the closing prayer and she said that she had to work and probably wouldn't be at church. Not only was she not at church but none of her family came either. That is 5 people towards our sacrament meeting count. The reason it is so important is because we get our branch funding based on our attendance. So in order to do things we need higher attendance so that we can have the funds to do activities. I'm not sure what happens during this time of year but our Attendance really drops off. It did the same thing last year.

We had a couple visiting today from Georgia. The tourist season over we haven't had many visitors as of late that is partially why our church attendance goes down because we usually have visitors from the cruise ships or staying at the resorts here.

One thing the members don't do here is honor the Sabbath Day too well, When Sacrament meeting is over all the youth head to the store to buy a ton of snacks. I'm never sure where they get all their money since most of our members are broke, but somehow they seem to come up with it.

I was a little down today about just the success of our mission overall and it may tina quite upset. She jumped all over me on the way to church about being so negative about things and I probably am because I have so many weaknesses I feel like I should be doing better.

As I think about how the Lord has had a hand in my day I think just having sacrament meeting is the way he is in my life today. As discouraged and down as I might feel usually when sacrament meeting is over I feel uplifted and I really enjoy being with the members. They have a lot of shortcomings as well as I do but they show so much faith in coming to church and trying to do better each day. When I compare them to a well established ward back home they seem like they have so far to go, but when I just see the personal growth that they are showing and how they respond I know they're trying. I just feel so much part of their lives and I know that when we leave they will soon forget about us as they do the other couples. I thought the house walked on water they did so much good here for the members but they rarely even mentioned them in any conversations. We have developed some great friendships with these people and even though they may not last long term we have sure enjoyed them and their association. Life is so busy now it is hard to stay in touch with people how about you probably will try with some of them.

Never underestimate the power of going to church every week and how it can help you overcome stressful situations. If you go with the attitude of worthily partaking of the sacrament and covenanting with Jesus Christ to try and do better by repenting of your sins each week you will feel his peace in your life. Sacrament meeting is one of the greatest gifts that our father in heaven has given to us to find peace.

Sam called this afternoon to talk. Was at work at the hospital and his family is all down in hurricane visiting. He told us that he had a day off on Friday and the family was all gone so he went to the temple. He didn't say how his session in the temple was but he said when he got out he You tried to start his car and the battery was as dead as a doorknell. He said he thought, so this is what I get for going to the temple? He said there was nobody in the parking lot to help him and he didn't have any jumper cables. So we got on his phone and found the nearest auto parts store which was about 3/4 of a mile away so he walked down there and bought a set of cables and walked back. As he got to his car a man pulled him to the parking lot and he asked him if he would jump his car for him. He said the man seemed to be a little agitated and in a hurry and so Sam said to him he was sorry for making him late. He said oh that's okay I was already late anyway. So he was telling us maybe that's why his car battery was dead that he cared to ask that man for help before he went into the temple and maybe he needed to do some service.

Sister Jane Miss Church today and I called her to see if she was doing OK and she said she was that she just ate something bad yesterday that didn't agree with her and she wasn't feeling well this morning. She was grateful that I called and checked on her. Little things like that also are where I see the Lord's hand in my life. Is just a simple gesture to check on her but she was appreciative and I was glad I took the time to visit with her for a bit. She is pretty much all alone.

The cool things they do with their hair here.
Angie McCaunley and her grandson


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2025

Sunday, June 22, 2025